Please read this entire guide carefully before installing Waska eastern white cedar shingles.
COMPLIANCE WITH WASKA PRE-FINISHED CEDAR SHINGLE INSTALLATION AND STORAGE REQUIREMENTS AS WELL AS THE APPLICABLE BUILDING CODES IN YOUR REGION IS MANDATORY.
Before installing your shingles, carefully check your order to make sure you have received the right product. If you notice any discrepancies or have any doubts about the product, DO NOT INSTALL and contact a store representative immediately.
NOTE: Waska will replace only defective shingles that have not yet been installed.
WASKA factory coated cedar shingles are recommended for exterior sidewall application only. ROOFING application requires Grade A/Extra R&R shingles, installed at a maximum exposure of 5”. This will void all warranty on the finish itself.
- STORING THE PRODUCT
- Keep the shingles in a dry and ventilated area. They should not come in direct contact with the ground.
- Cover any unused shingles in their original packaging when not being installed.
2. BEFORE YOU BEGIN INSTALLATION
- The installed shingles must not come in direct contact with the ground, masonry, insulation or horizontal structures. Ensure a minimum clearance of 6” from the ground, 3/4” from insulation or masonry, and 1” from horizontal structures.
- Exterior sidings do not form a waterproof barrier; be sure to install a weather barrier such as TYPAR or TYVEK first to protect from water infiltration.
- Installing gutters or mouldings to deflect water away from the shingles will help to prevent premature aging of the finish. Adequate ventilation is critical to the performance of the shingle.
3. CUTS AND FINISHING
- Use a sharp utility knife to cut the shingles. Score several straight cuts into the shingle’s surface and fold along the scored line. An electric saw can also be used.
- Touch up all cuts made to the factory coated cedar shingles, as wood can start graying if left unprotected. Apply touch-up stain to all cut or planed surfaces, and to all bare wood, even if it will not be visible once the shingle is installed.
- Use touch-up paint sparingly and only where needed, such as bare wood and damaged areas. Avoid applying too much, which will create an uneven sheen over time and in direct sunlight.
4. PREPARING THE WALL
- WASKA Pre-finished cedar shingles can be installed over different membranes. There must be proper ventilation and drainage behind the shingles. Wooden strapping or furring strips are recommended.
- Home Slicker can also be used. Be sure to follow the installation instructions provided by the product’s manufacturer, Benjamin Opdyke.
5.INSTALLING THE SHINGLES
The recommended exposure (exposed portion) for shingles is 5” Approximate coverage per bundle: 5” exposure: 25 sq. ft.
Always install two layers of shingles as starter course. This course must extend at least 1” past the foundation. [FIGURE 1]
- • Space shingles at least 1/8” apart. (DO NOT BUTT SHINGLES TOO CLOSELY TOGETHER IN ORDER TO ALLOW FOR THE NATURAL EXPANSION AND CONTRACTION INHERENT TO KILN DRIED WOOD.)
- • Make sure joints do not line up over subsequent rows. Leave at least a 1 1/2” space between the joint in the previous row.
WASKA Pre-finished cedar shingles can be installed with galvanized or stainless-steel shingle nails or staples. DO NOT USE ELECTRO GALVANIZED NAILS OR STAPLES.
- Always use two fasteners per shingle, regardless of its width.
- Position at least 3/4” from each edge and 1” maximum above the butt line of the overlapping shingle.
- Fasteners must penetrate at least 3/4” into a solid nail able substrate (such as plywood or OSB).
- Stainless or hot-dipped galvanized steel nails
- Ring shank blunt tip nails with minimum 7/32 head
- Nails should be flush to surface.
- Minimum 7/16” crown
- Do Not Over drive
- Stainless steel 304
- Or 316 or Aluminum
- Minimum 7/16” crown
- Minimum 16 gauge
- Staples should be flush to surface
- Do Not Overdrive
WASKA Pre-finished cedar shingles require minimal maintenance. Consult the WASKA Shingle Maintenance Guide available at waska.com.
For any additional information, please visit waska.com, or 1-877-992-2152
IMPORTANT: COMPLIANCE WITH WASKA PRE-FINISHED CEDAR SHINGLE INSTALLATION AND STORAGE REQUIREMENTS AS WELL AS THE APPLICABLE BUILDING CODES IN YOUR REGION IS MANDATORY.